- This event has passed.
General Meeting (August 2018)
August 9, 2018 @ 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
The Capital Regional Beekeepers Association (CRBA) meets on the second Thursday of every month.
This meeting usually starts with a beginners/intermediate beekeeper corner 30 minutes before the regular club proceedings start around 7pm.
- 6:00pm – Setup – All
- 6:30pm – New beekeepers’ corner (lower meeting room)
- Winter Bees, Vitellogenin & mites – Don L
- 6:30pm – Intermediate beekeepers’ discussion (upper hall)
- General discussion – Bob L
- 7:00pm – Main meeting (upper hall)
- Welcome – Bill F
- EFB and AFB – Bob L
- Fair reminders – Irene T and Graeme N
- What to do in August – Larry L
- BCHPA check-in – Barry D
- Just so you know – All
- 8:30pm – Social: Coffee, tea and treats
- How are you dealing with wasps?
- What nectar source(s) do you depend on?
- What has made the difference in maximizing your honey per hive for you? We will regroup to hear answers people have collected as they meet and discuss the questions with others.
- 9:00pm – Close
Bill Fosdick called the meeting to order at 7:15pm.
Bill gave a short recap on what the members could expect to be presented this evening.
Bill thanked both Don Lambert and Bob Liptrot for the time they commit to do the New Beekeeper corner and the intermediate question time prior to the general meeting.
Graeme spoke to the members on volunteering on the 3 Fairs coming up in the next few weeks. Saanich Fair has spaces for Volunteers as does the Sooke Fair and the Luxton Fair. Irene asked the
membership to donate a jar of honey for the honey tasting at the booth.
What to do in August: Larry
Extract honey supers, remember in the hot weather the bees need a source of water, treat for mites, be on the look out for wasps, to get rid of ants mix borax and icing sugar together and have it under the hive.
Barry Denluck spoke to the members of the BCHPA AGM and educational days being held October 26, 27 and 28th at the Union Club. He gave the members a short look at as to what to be expected at the conference and the speakers. There are volunteers still needed in some areas.
Bob Liptrot gave a talk on the differences between AFB (American Foul Brood) and EFB (European Foul
Meeting was adjourned at 8:25pm for the members to socialize.