- This event has passed.
Executive Meeting (May 2020)
May 18, 2020 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Attending: Bill F, Cindy P, Carolyn H, Nicole S, Simon L, Don L
Not Present: Kazlyn B
- Bill began the meeting at 7:07pm.Reviewed agenda.
- Review of last week’s general meeting.
- Delighted with 46 attendees.
- Surprised we filled 1h30min window.
- A lot going on.
- Need to improve poll – question versus list of answers. Swiping on screen didn’t seem to work
- Breakout chat at end might be worth trying. Not sure how that would work.
- Bill could not see all panelists. Cindy suggests it may be possible to scroll through list.
- Positive feelings on flower quiz.
- Don’s video worked well
- What to do for June?
- Beginners corner (20 mins?)
- Intermediate corner (20 mins) – may still be interesting for beginners.
- Bob L may not be available for intermediate corner. Others will have to field the questions.
- Can we have list of questions before meeting?
- Need something on front page of website with meeting link. Similar link needed for Facebook page.
- Can we use the “raise your hand”?
- Do we want someone like our traditional speaker?
- June was going to be the Strawberry social.
- Were we using Q&A or chat for questions? Believe participants were limited to
- Zoom was interfering with audio in Don’s video due attempt to filter out buzz of bees.
- Idea for speaker: Jerry Rozema? Computers hooked up to hives? Bill to try and track him down.
- Woodworking project?
- What is an outyard?
- Bill and Brad to go up on Saturday.
- Could come back with video.
- Online draw for tags at meeting.
- Need to provide interest in advance.
- Looking at existing 3 sites and potentially changing one.
- Send email specifically about tag draw entry.
- Email in advance to express interest in up to 3 plus interest in extra if left over.
- Pickup tags at church.
- Idea for future meeting – beekeeping bloopers.
- Suggestions for website
- Swarm line needs to be easier to find.
- Is buy/sell section easy enough to find?
- Seems well encoded for search engine to present links for swarm, buy/sell, etc., but not as obvious for someone visiting the website.
- Annual membership link is quite far down the list. Should be higher.
- Club swarm registration was not clear that you have to specifically request your apiary location on the club map.
- Club member home addresses are on the map. One icon type.
- Club members may request other locations be on the map. Second icon type.
- Former club members remain on the map “greyed out” for a period of time.
- Website access
- Werner could put password lock on certain areas such as extractor rental. Password changed periodically.
- Contact information should be put behind password barrier.
- Ability to post on buy/sell is members only.
- Hive hosting, regional groups, behind barrier.
- Saanich Fair
- Going to try and do something online.
- Fair itself will not happen.
- Cindy to liaise with Irene T regarding what we can do.
- Executive meeting minutes to Attendees and missing executive for review before posting.
- Additional topics
- Mites (Don wants more focus)
- Nosema testing (Jean Manville offers service.)Don working toward getting a microscope. Don may have a setup for testing once we get back to meetings.
- There is a box for members to indicate they are interested having a mentor (or be a mentor?)
- Carolyn indicated we used to have mentor list, but history is there are more people wanting a mentor than those willing to be mentors. Small groups was supposed to help with this.
- Carolyn looking to see if we can have an online meeting of small (regional) groups.
- Don indicates being a mentor can be very time consuming.
- Meeting adjourned 8:23pm.